View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 09:48 PM   #20
66_C20

Re: Start of my 66 C20 Build

When I started this project, my plan was to keep the three speed on the column. I loved it and really really wanted to keep it but as the project progressed, it was just going to be a huge pain in the neck between clearance issues with the big block, with headers, the bell housing crossmember, linkages, and so on. So I opted to go with a TH400 instead, which is why the tubular trans crossmember was added to the parts list. This also meant that I needed a new steering column since it would be a column shifted automatic. So again, I put in an order with Western Chassis for a tilt column which I like quite a bit. Took a little creativity to get that project all worked out but I think we got it handled. The two biggest issues were the fact that the column had no mounting holes so we had to test fit it in the truck, mark where we wanted it, drill holes and tap them. Ended up having to do that twice unfortunately. Then the end of the column itself had to be attached to the end of the intermediate steering shaft somehow so that led to us drilling a hole in the end of the column and then putting a bolt and locknut through it all to connect it.

Also went ahead and mounted the power brake booster bracket which was very easy. I have the booster and master cylinder but didn’t get a chance to mount those items. Bought a brand new booster for a late model S10 and a master cylinder for an ‘86 C20 from O’ Reilly’s. I can’t remember the exact year of the booster but it was on the list Captain Fab sends with his bracket of applicable boosters. Went with the smallest one per his recommendation considering the big block and mitigating potential clearance issues.

66_C20 is offline   Reply With Quote