View Single Post
Old 07-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
SoCal_C-10

Re: Assistance with Ignition Issue - RESOLVED

Just wanted to update this thread.

The C/10 is back in running condition and after checking everything mentioned in this thread, I finally realized that the engine is still running as if plugs were wired in the wrong firing order.

I decided to rotate all spark plug wire connections on the distributor by 1 hole counter-clockwise.

The 250 fired right up! Apparently, the distributor is not indexed correctly, so even though I had the plugs in the correct firing order per the shop manual diagrams, they were will each off by one cylinder. That is, plug #1 was connected to the distributor where plug #4 should have been.

The engine is a rebuild installed about 30 years ago, so I'm guessing the shop that did the installation never caught the error.

My mistake was to not number the plug wires to indicate where they were connected to the old cap when I removed it to begin with.

At any rate, timing, dwell, points and idle are now all set correctly and it runs like a top.

So, at some point I will replace the distributor and get it properly aligned.

Thank you all for input. It helped rule everything else out and return to look at the firing order one more time.
SoCal_C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote