View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 10:39 AM   #7
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Re: Blazer Bikini Top??

A few years ago when I bought my K5 I contacted the major top makers to see if any were interested in making a bikini top - they all said no because of the number of different rollbars that were used in the 69-72 K5's. One top maker said if I got lots of people interesed they might do it. I got a post started here and over at www.ck5.com and got probably 125 names of people who were interested in a bikin top. Contacted the top maker again and they showed zero interest. About that time tonyp contacted me and said he had a friend who made boat tops and he had him make a prototype bikin top for tonyp's K5. It turned out great and tonyp and I went to alot of work getting together some information sheets and ordering sheets and tonyp took the lead accepting the orders and shipping them once they were made.

Tonyp and I made zero money from these tops - we both just wanted to see them available. I would guess maybe 25 people actually contacted us and got bikini tops made.

We had both a snap type and a fasttrack style available in various materials. I got one for my K5 and before long my K5 will actually be running so I can finally use mine!

Over the last year tonyp has not been very active on either board and not too responsive to e-mails about the bikini tops. Last I heard they were still available but the wait was about a month to get one built. Tonyp is in California and I am in Kansas.

As tonyp is not very active on the boards now and hasn't been responding quickly, I am a little nervous about the tops. I will send anyone the order info but insist that you get an e-mail response from tonyp before you send money so you know he is still willing to take the orders and get the tops shipped out.

I would also be willing to take my top to a local guy who I spoke to about 5 months ago to see what he would charge to make these.

Again, neither of us was making a dime for this but as no one else is willing to get these bikini tops available, I will do what I can to help fellow K5'ers.

Here is a pic of the prototype on tonyp's K5.