View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #227
RckyMntnKng

Re: My Build Thread (year+) on 71 Jimmy 4x4

The open air filter on top of the carb was clogging with mud, water, and turning to mush....stalling my rig in the water crossings and after. Not a good setup for mud and H20 - but works great every where else.

I did some mods to allow a dual setup with a dry intake for just such occasions.

Its basically a mute point in this rig to have a heater - but I can always go back that way in the future if needed. Removed the box/cable components from in the Cab and under the hood. Used some flat plate to built port covers over the passages into the cab from where the Rad/fan would sit in the engine compartment.

Used a cheap Air Raid plastic box leftover from a Cold Air Intake I had on a previous truck and ran tube inside the cab to an Edelbrock Filter with a washable foam element. It got mounted behind the glove box inside the cab where the old Heater controls used to sit.

Every joint and bolt hole got RTV gasket goop and is water tight. Also can cap the firewall port and use the open element carb top filter at anytime im planning to go dry trails.... Works VERY WELL!
Attached Images