View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 12:58 AM   #15
caseyjones

Re: 1964 GMC Palomino Tan Survivor

The DMV appointment was successful, I have plates and a title on the way. The drive to the DMV highlighted a weakness in the radiator, so I need to pull it out and get it repaired. But other fun stuff is happening.

I started stripping down the truck and mocked up the front brake setup. I'll be welding tabs to the upper a-arms to mount the squarebody brake hoses. I had to bend the hose end at the caliper a little bit to clear the upper part of the spindle, apparently a common thing to do on the square trucks. I bent a line that goes forward to the crossmember under the radiator, across and to the other side. A 40" pre-flared line worked perfectly for that. i'll also be replacing the ball joints and outer tie rod ends.

I also started with the new brake system. I installed a 1" bore dual master cylinder that I had on my green truck. I found out it was too sensitive for the power brakes on that truck so I thought it might be perfect for the manual brake setup I want to try on this one. The master cylinder bolted right up, doesn't look like I'll have to mess with the pushrod or anything. I'm waiting on a t-fitting before I finish running the front line up to the master.

Also started pulling the rear end apart-driveshaft is out, parking brake and shocks disconnected. I will be pulling the bed off next in order to get the upper shock mounts and leaf spring mounts out and to install the coil-spring shock crossmember. Not really much to see there.

Last, I installed the Holley so I can figure out fuel line fittings/routing. I don't love the polished finish but it was the most affordable version, so i'll live with it.

I'm kind of hopping around, doing stuff that I have parts for while I wait on other parts to show up. I have wheels at the sandblaster, balljoints in the mail, a bunch of fasteners on order with Fastenal, etc. Should start coming together soon though.

Last edited by caseyjones; 08-27-2021 at 01:09 AM.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote