View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #598
smbrouss70

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

I hit a bit of a snag this weekend that completely stopped my progress of getting the TKO in the Blazer. If you look at the picture of the old bellhousing with the new one, the clutch fork hole doesn't give enough room for the truck style clutch fork to properly articulate when pushing the clutch in, due to it being straight instead of curved like a car version. Of course, my original bellhousing has a center hole that is 5-1/8" diameter instead of the 4-5/8" that the transmission requires to properly center the transmission on the crankshaft of the engine. I tried to locate a truck bellhousing that had the 4-5/8" hole, but couldn't find one to get me going.

I called Silver Sport this morning and explained my issues, and they are going to send me an indexing ring that should be a light press fit into my original bellhousing hole and will properly locate the transmission. I'm a little leary of that ring possibly falling into the pressure plate and wreaking havoc on everything, so they are sending a "machined surface sealant" which is kind of like thread locker, but for machined surfaces, and I will probably "stake" the bellhousing into the ring with a center punch just for good measure. The good news is that I can go ahead and index my current bellhousing with the larger hole to center it up on the crankshaft before the ring even makes it to me, so at least that can be out of the way.
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build

Last edited by smbrouss70; 08-26-2019 at 03:17 PM.
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote