View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Ackattack

Re: Looking for a cummins donor vehicle for 2500hd

I bought my donor vehicle as a running and driving 94 3/4t dodge. I was specifically looking for a p-pumped 12V 4x4 5 speed and that's what I got. I had to pay a little more (probably because of the 5 speed 4x4) compared to other cummins powered trucks. I drove it as a dodge truck for about 2 months (hell, I was able to get the A/C to work too)

Can it be done? Sure, but honestly its a lot of work, and when that style of truck is out there with a duramax, I think I'd just get one of those.

Now my truck (a 97) wasn't available with a duramax, and the 6.5L didn't meet my "needs". Reliability, mileage, and decent power are also my priorities, so that's why I went with the 12V.

My build incorporated 3 major items: cummins swap, cutting it down from a lwb dually into a swb srw, and swapping in a solid front axle (it was a 2wd). The combination of the 3 things made it a lot of work. If you were just to swap in the cummins, it wouldn't be terribly hard.

One thing, I hate the chevy electronic transfer case. I have one in my suburban and I've have had quite a few issues with it. (replaced the transfer case, the switch, and finally the motor). It also seems like in my '05 CCSB I had a minor issue or two with it also.

As for the guages, I think the temp and oil pressure sending units can can swap over onto the cummins. The tach and speedo will be a little tougher. I'm working on my tach now and havent gotten to the speedo. That would be an advantage (if its even possible) of running the GM transfer case, since the speedo comes off of it. My plan is to use the speed sensor coming off the Dana 80 that was originally for the ABS.

Good luck!
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote