View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #177
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Ok so the motor is home safe and sound and ready to go...........
[/URL]

So,..........The Paintman has been kind of quite lately on updates to the truck itself because he was trying to figure out what to do with the dilemma on the back of the cab.

For those of you who have not been following along, when I bought the truck, one of the PO's booger-ed up the back by pop riveting a piece 36"x 24" stainless steel to the back of the cab (see post#3 for pic) to cover up whatever issues it had. I say boogered because instead of trying to fix the original issues he instead just made it worse by drilling about 50 holes in the back for the rivets. When he went and tightened up the rivets of course he deformed the metal around all the holes So when I removed the patch I found a world of problems. Oil canning, waviness, all the holes, etc. etc.

So the obvious fix would have been to cut the back out, and stitch a new piece in like all the true hot rod craftsman do. But here's the thing, the Paintman was scared **** less to do that. Why you ask???????????????????
1. The back of the cab although rough had absolutely no rust anywhere.
2. The Paintman does not have the equipment to cut, roll, and contour a piece of sheetmetal that big.
3. The Paintman does not have anybody to help him for the 3 or 4 hours it would take to cut and fit the panel properly other then his wife and 2 kids (that would have been a train wreck).
4. The Paintman has done nothing but struggle when he has had to stitch in some of the smaller work he has don on the front side of the cab.
5. The risk/ reward was just not there for me to cut out the back, I felt that there was a very good chance of me ruining the cab completely.

So first off let me say that I was not going to post any of this because of the certain flaming and ridicule I am sure to get. But what the hell maybe there is somebody else out their in the same predicament. If you guys want to tear me down go right ahead I can handle it
First off I got back on a heavy dose of my medication so my analness would be under control because what I was about to do would kill me .

So the plan I devised was to reinforce the back of the cab from the inside with some ribbing. First I cut 10 pieces of 16 guage sheet metal and gave them a slight bend to hopefully hold pressure on the back panel.
[/URL]
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote