View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
ahlsy

Re: 1972 K20 Suburban

First issue with the new Burb. It seems to be flooding out on cold starts. If I let it sit for more than a day without driving, it will flood on startup and refuse to run. If I drive it the night before and start it the next morning it starts just fine. It only acts up if it goes more than a day without running. I suspected a high float level or a fuel logged float, so I picked up a carb kit and rebuilt it. Replaced the float too. I set the float level to 3/16" as directed by the instructions, but I'm finding info online that says most guys set it to 1/4 or even 3/8". Anyway, long story short, it started right up, but I'm getting fuel leaking by the accelerator pump shaft. This also indicates a high float level, but I'm 99% sure I have the float at the recommended level. Now I'm leaning towards too high of fuel pressure, that's blowing the needle off the seat in the bowl. Hopefully I have time to check the fuel pressure tonight or tomorrow, and get a regulator set up if needed. The fuel pump looks new. In fact, I found the packaging for it in the back of the burb doing my initial cleanup...

Anybody have any different ideas that I should have a look at? I'm pretty handy, but not really a carburetor guy...
ahlsy is offline   Reply With Quote