View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 09:23 PM   #219
Nick_R_23

Re: Project "You thought yours was bad!" '78 C10 Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpat View Post
I know this is an older thread but I just finished reading it. Hey GREAT JOB! The fubar with Holley was a downer....just bad customer service on them. Hope you got to drive it summer 2018. Or do you still have it?

I've got an 84 C20 I inherited from my dad, has a carb and will keep it carburated. I'm just going to clean it up some, it runs great but looks like a junker (my dad had $2500 put into the engine and tranny the summer b4 he died).
Just reading on here to get cheap ideas and proven things to do on it.
Thank you! It's hard to believe that it's been over a year since I last posted in here...man how time flies!

I do still have the truck, although the Sniper/MSD experience with Holley left a bitter taste in my mouth and I lost motivation to work on it, so I parked it. My intention was to pick it back up this winter, but that plan fell through too.

Looking back through this thread, a lot has changed. The '67 Camaro and '68 Chevelle both ended up going to new homes, and there was even a '69 Camaro that came and went in that timeframe! (Along with many other cars.) I ended up going on a road trip with my dad back in May, down to Utah to pick up his new 29' enclosed trailer, and then down on to Georgia to pick up my Exocet kit car and a Miata donor car. Once we got back, I sold both my 4 wheelers and bought a new Polaris RZR 1000XP through work. THEN, I decided that it was a perfectly good time to gut the shop and do a COMPLETE down to studs remodel, which ended up going into the tail end of winter. I met an amazing woman during this craziness, who helped out in finishing the shop. We then took to building a pair of snowmachines together for the remainder of winter. The truck is still on the list and I have the parts to complete it waiting in a box, and once I get the shop cleaned out of everything else that is going on, I'll bring it back in and force myself to make the time to finish it up.

On your truck, it sounds like you've got a solid plan. Cheap and simple is good. If I had to do this over again, I would have gone with a quality carb and kept things simple and avoided the expense and headache. Not to say EFI conversions are off the table for me, but unless the engine is completely stock and can run off the factory EFI tune, I probably wouldn't go through the hassle for a summer-only street driven vehicle.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote