View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
PurdueSD

Re: Alternator wiring GM CS130

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
You will need to wire the L terminal to a source of switched ignition-on power through the resistor. Connect the S terminal to the main power lead at the same junction where the alternator output lead connects to the main power lead that goes to the battery. That would normally be a couple feet away from the alternator. The F terminal is not used, so that plug you show in your fingers is not the right one, since it has F and L wires.

Here is a write up about using the CS alternators.
https://www.americanautowire.com/PDF...20IN%203.0.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
Here is more on the subject that I c/p from an internet site.
Your post diagram shows how to make the connections.

The CS130 alternators use a four-connection plug; however, for the purposes of a changeover into a vintage car, you will only be using two of the four connections. The connector will be marked "PLFS" or "PLIS."
Depending on the system, you will only be using the "S" and "L" or the "S" and "I" terminals. "P" is the phase connection for externally powered accessories, such as a tachometer or hour meter, and can be used as an option. "L" is the alternator indicator lamp circuit and in some systems will be the ignition connection. "F" is an external field monitor connection. "S" is the main power distribution connector. The "I" connection (when present) is for ignition and connects to the ignition switch (keyed on/off switch).
If you have the PLFS connector, it may be necessary to adapt the "L" connection. On a charging system with an "ALT" bulb, you can connect the ignition switch wire directly to the "L" terminal. If the system does not have an "ALT" bulb, it is necessary to install a 50 ohm diode in the wire leading to the "L" terminal. You can purchase a diode and solder it inline or you can purchase a jumper harness with the diode already in it (Delco 8078 or GM # 12102921). This harness has the 10SI connection on one end and the CS130 connection on the other.
First off, thank you both very much! Im still really confused however. @dmjlambert. The plug that you are saying is the incorrect one, came from my donor vehicle, the same donor vehicle as the alternator. The original Engine harness that i cut the plug from was unaltered. The S and P terminals in the plug dont have a wire in them at all...