View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 06:16 PM   #58
joedoh

Re: Project "Bickle" 1948 1/2 ton 4.3 4l60e

yeah I would like to do a 48 ford f1 on s10 this year, this will help a lot because they have a weird wheelbase, like 112".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
I passed over a lot of ext cabs when looking for an S10 donor frame because I did not know that this could be done.
bartman (on this forum) did a video on shortening a long time ago, but I still only looked for long beds. for all the work it takes (or doesnt take) I dont think I will ever exclusively look for a longbed ever again.

I still talk to bartman, he is reasonably local and we have hung out a couple times. I am trying to get him motivated on his truck again, he has a lot on his plate though, I get it.

motor mounts! I used my old cheater jig, with the all threads 16.25" apart. cut the threads off two pieces of 4" black pipe, and copied wedges 4 times. kept the 1/2" offset to the passenger side and this time only moved the mounts back 7.25". on the last truck I went almost 2" more, and played hell putting the distributor in. used a tape measure to make sure the front and rear of the mounts were at the same heights from the floor to keep the same installed angle of the motor.

the bolts are 100mm M12 metrics, slightly bigger than 7/16" and slightly smaller than 1/2", because 1/2 does not fit in the new mounts and 7/16 is just barely loose in the black pipe.

I usually cut down the original trans crossmember but wanted to try just building a new one from rectangle tube. worked well, only took about an hour.

sanded everything I wouldnt be able to reach with the motor back in and put down some matte black.

still snowy and wet outside.

more in next post
Attached Images

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote