View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #17
1949gmc

Re: blazer roll bar and roll cage pics please

VT's not trying to trash your setup... it looks good... but when it comes to safety, its good to let everyone know that a rollbar like this only looks good- it won't save your life or your passengers life. It's the same for the 'dealer installed' rollbars... they're not going to save your life in case of a rollover. Because it has no cross supports, it can collapse and because it is only mounted to sheetmetal, it can tear out. 50,000 people, or more, have access to this thread, or any thread on rollbars, and if any one of those people gets the idea that a rollbar without the integrity of cross supports or a sound foundation can save their lives, then they are in danger.... and we've let it happen. I'd say that, beyond the force equal to pushing a truck over by hand, a rollbar that is just bolted to the floor with no bracing, just won't hold up. In order to keep you and your passengers alive, a rollbar must be tied into the frame and there must be cross supports and some triangulation. Now, I understand that the trail park has a rule about rollbars, and that's fine.... as long as you know what might happen in a worse case scenario and take the proper precautions as you see fit.

Forget trail riding, it's a good idea to have a cage in a truck that'll only ever see the streets! You're going a helluva lot faster and there are a million more idiots out there! I can't tell you how many times I've thought about wearing my race car helmet just driving to and from work!!

Last edited by 1949gmc; 02-23-2010 at 12:16 AM.
1949gmc is offline   Reply With Quote