View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 AM   #613
Ronster66

Re: The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Factory Correct Restoration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTFUN View Post
...OEM4ME is exactly correct on his machine screw bolts in the gravel pan with nuts and washers. They also used the same screw in the front bed panel to bolt to box sides so you can usually find eight very nice used ones to have the correct factory hardware. Mark
Thanks, Mark. Looks like I’ll be twisting my brother’s arm (Mopar guy) to see if he can locate some out in sunny/dry SoCal. My chances of finding anything good around here are VERY slim. If Mother Nature hasn’t totally eaten them, they’ve been sent to the crusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
I've pulled two sets of those off unmolested junkyard trucks, and they were big phillips screws. (and one was a pain to get them off of, becasue the heads were rotten and wanted to cam-out).
I've rarely seen those filler panels on trucks though... surely people didn't remove them--there'd be little reason to remove them but keep the original bumper and brackets there.
Thanks to you too Brad. It seems we have a consensus on the phillips head screw. I’ll definitely have my PB Blaster in hand if I find a donor truck.

I agree with you. 30 years ago, I spent countless hours scouring junkyards and I crawled all over who knows how many trucks. I don’t remember ever seeing a set of these panels on a truck...and I was ALWAYS looking for a chrome rear bumper...come to think of it, I never saw many of those either. Hmmm...there may be a connection... Most trucks around here had the dealer installed, diamond plate, “go ahead, I dare ya to rear-end me” rear bumper.
Ronster66 is offline   Reply With Quote