View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #45
jocko

Re: Interior Originality

It's been awhile since I did those, but I'm almost certain it was Krylon Satin Black. I didn't prime, but I did first get all/most of the old paint off by polishing it a bit (mine didn't have much paint left... I think I just used regular Turtle Wax Chrome Polish) and then thoroughly applied/rubbed wax and grease remover to get any of the polish residue off, then prior to painting gave it a rub-down with Eastwood "Pre-" (good stuff). You don't have to get all the old paint off - I was mostly shooting for a level surface, but I did rub a good bit of it away as it was so faded it was almost falling off. You'll have to judge yours for yourself. Yours "looks" like some of the paint has kinda chipped off, so you may get ridges if you don't get rid of the old somehow. I didn't use any primer mostly because I didn't want the buildup, the rattle can stuff is a pretty heavy covering in the end (but still make sure to no-kidding spray it in several very light coats - just don't get carried away - less is more in this case I believe). I don't recommend sanding, scrubby pads, or ANYthing abrasive - the grilles have an anodized coating, and it can be damaged pretty easily with anything harsh. Krylon isn't necessarily automotive grade but it held up pretty well, probably just due to the prep work. I think SEM may also make some better quality black for exterior use, but I just used what I had on the shelf. Yes, there are a lot of grilles out there with no black paint, some prefer it that way. Factory stuff wore off over the past 40+ years on most of the untouched trucks. Freshening it up makes a world of difference in my book though.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote