Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 09:45 AM   #1996
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vet57air View Post
Looking for some input. I am building a 66 C10. Had a frame made. Front track width is 59". I had a 9" built at 59" (flange to flange) and then had wheels built to fit. I plan to autocross. Yes the 22"s are not optimal but I like the look.
My rear wheels are 22 x 12 with 7" of backspace. My question is having the front and rear track width the same good for handling or does it not matter?
Yes, typically, we want a "square" truck. Really, we are talking about the Track width (center of tire to center of tire), not Tread width (outside to tire tread to outside of tire tread) So at 59" front and back you are pretty close.

We used to think we could improve the trucks by making the front track a little wider than the rear, to eliminate the push. It works to a point. But, with better tires over the last 10 years, stability is less of a factor. And, the end (front or rear) that is wider gets less mechanical tire loading. In the end, the 'wider' end will loose grip (all else being perfect) first. So, Square is the rule.
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote