View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #50
padresag

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Thanks Dino!!

I loaded up the wood for the bed this morning on my trusty "work truck" and went to Lowe's to pick up some black stain.

Got to the shop and sanded a couple places smooth on the back side of the strips and brushed some stain on. Let it sit, wiped it off as per the istructions, let it dry, and brushed some more on. Let it sit, wiped it off again, let it dry... three times. The wood is so dense that it isn't soaking up any of the stain so it isn't getting dark as dark as I want it. The grain of the wood isn't showing up like I thought it would either.

Sanded smooth (or smooth enough to see if it was going to work):

One coat of stain:

Three coats of stain and a coat of Minwax rattle can satin polyurethane.

I'm not too happy with the results of the test samples so I'll just paint the wood low gloss black like I did with the '65.

On another note, I got all the welds cut loose on one of the wheel centers and now have to go get a big enough hammer to knock the center out (left mine at home.) I'll post pics once I get the center knocked out and flipped around, and take some backspacing measurements. Hopefully from the measurements yall can help me figure out if they'll fit or not.
several things. 1 it looks like you used h/maple and it is not that friendly to oil stains. you are better of using dye stain. a really good lack is a black aniline shoe dye if you can buy it by the quart. there are quite a few good places to get these dyes from.,not difficult to apply.
I think that you wood could have used a good sanding. that stuf looks like you dragged it down the pavement first behind your krauter.
you can adj the depth of colour on most of those dyes
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote