Thread: 42 Chevy
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #22
dennislbrooks

Re: 42 Chevy

2Manyprojects, this is good info as I am working on the 46 3/4 ton and am using a 67 12 bolt for the rear --width is about right and I will move the perches and put shocks on rear. Like you I am using spare parts I have from my 67 changes. I already modified the front axle with a 57 front axle so I will have 6 bolts all way around and and cheaper and easier to get brake parts.. I will have an open driveshaft also and if my uncle wants a flatbed I will not section the frame for the new 79" bed sides he already has--not a longbed as a 3/4 would have had. It will not be a rear dual axle anymore ---heck maybe it is a ton instead of a 3/4. Not sure the options back then -it is an 8 lug but as I understand could be either. I have a good non sychro 4 speed with pto out of a 41 -- 1 1/2 ton. Do not need the pto but if flatbed could make it a dump bed -- no reason. Could get cylinder assembly and pump off the 1 1/2 ton.

If it is left as a long frame I will most likely need a carrier bearing from a 67-87 because of length. If I cut the frame --no need. It came with a closed driveshaft to the original carrier bearing then open after that. The 4 speed that came out was for original setup. Open all the way with the 1 1/2 ton 4 speed.

Good talking with you. I will watch your post and ponder your choices for my project.