View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #83
Mattman2010

Re: 85 GMC Sierra Classic 1 Ton Crew Cab

I figured I would just update this. I went to put new ball joints into my dana 44 front axle and found that the spider gears where tore up on it. I was going to pull them out and replace them and found that one of the bearing caps was cracked in half. After finding all of that I just decided that it would be cheaper for me to find a new axle with good gears in it. I was going to run 3.73 dana 44/Corp 14bolt, but I found a guy selling a good dana 44 with 4.10s but it was missing some pieces for $50 and I had all the parts needed to get it working.

With the 4.10s in the front I am also going to be putting my dually rear end under the truck. At first I didnt want to run a dually, then I did, then I didnt, and now I am going to. Yes I changed my mind quite a bit when it comes to trying to get this thing running.

To install the dually rear axle I am going to get some new spring perches and move them out to get them to be the same as what a c/k 10/20 uses so that I can use my k20 spring hangers that I already have mounted to the frame, and if I wanted to I could easily swap in a 14b to go to single wheels (And I cant find anyone parting out a K30 frame that will sell me just the spring hanger brackets).

I am just going to run regular wheels in the front for now because I can find dana 44's for pretty cheap and it will get me going for now. I am on a budget so I am trying to do this the cheapest way I can for now.

Probably next year I will be tearing it down to hopefully put a new cab, and dana 60 front on it, and then make it all one color, but for now I just want to get it on the road and then start saving for the parts I really want on the truck!

Matt

1984 K30 CC Dually - "The Tank"
12V Cummins/Nv4500/Np205/D60/D70HD 4" lift & 37's
Build Thread

1960 C-60 Dump Truck
Make it road worthy!
Thread
Mattman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote