View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #115
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: 1973 K20 Build Thread

Next I removed the lower ball joint snap ring.

Name:  IMG_1371.JPG
Views: 5170
Size:  105.7 KB

Then I removed the tie bar. I used a pickle fork because I didn't have the correct tie rod removal tool, but I should have just gone out and bought it. It is inexpensive and would have saved the tie rod boots.

Name:  IMG_1372.jpg
Views: 6262
Size:  56.2 KB

Then I used the pickle fork to loosen the ball joints so that the spindle could be removed. TIP: Put the upper ball joint castle nut back on and finger tighten it so that when the ball joints break loose, the spindle won't crash onto the ground or your feet.

You can also smack the "C" part of the axle housing right beside the ball joint with a 4 lb sledge and the ball joints should loosen with the vibration. You can do this if you don't have the pickle fork. Both ways will work.

Name:  IMG_1374.JPG
Views: 5161
Size:  88.1 KB
Name:  IMG_1375.JPG
Views: 5113
Size:  84.2 KB

Now you can press the ball joints out. I am doing all of this in my driveway without any presses or special tools. I will show you how to do this with nothing but elbow grease and a little muscle.

Here is the ball joint press that you will need along with the OTHER set of spacers. You need BOTH of these. They can both be rented from the parts stores or you can get them from Harbor Freight or various other places. Just make sure you get the 4X4 kit because YOU WILL NEED THE EXTRA SPACERS!!! Harbor Freight has the 4X4 set which contains all the parts of both sets below.

Name:  IMG_1459.jpg
Views: 5003
Size:  65.5 KB

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 05-25-2011 at 07:13 PM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote