Here are the ball joint part numbers...

Name:  IMG_1431.JPG
Views: 4938
Size:  94.0 KB

I then moved on to the other side...

Name:  IMG_1392.JPG
Views: 5198
Size:  106.9 KB

This is what you DO NOT want to see when you remove the axle shafts. My plans were to "just" replace the ball joints, but as I learned, you really should also replace the inner axle shaft seals. These are the ones that are pressed into the inner axle housing at the differential housing. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP. I almost didn't do this, but you will see why my better judgement prevailed. This is a sign that your inner axle shaft seals are bad and need replacing. The gear lube leaked all the way from the differential out to the outer axle housing on the end of the left axle shaft...

Name:  IMG_1390.JPG
Views: 5010
Size:  88.7 KB
Name:  IMG_1397.JPG
Views: 4991
Size:  86.4 KB

Here I started to remove the lower ball joint on my "shop table". I used the press and a 1/2" breaker bar. You will turn it until you hear it snap. At this point it will break loose and you just keep turning the press. The trick is to hold the part of the spindle with your left hand and tighten the ball joint press on the breaker bar with your right arm. You will feel the correct leverage. I'll post a picture in a while on how to do this.
Attached Images

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367

Last edited by TheWhiteElephant; 05-23-2011 at 11:14 PM.
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote