View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 04:45 AM   #3
BaggedRanger

Re: Convert 4x4 to 2 wheel drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65n70chevys View Post
First things first

I know this goes against everything 4x4 related and almost nobody agrees with it. However I have 2 K5 blazers a 74 and a 75. I would like to have 1 4x4 and 1 to be 2 wheel drive. Before I get all kinds of 'use the search button", I have, and have read hundreds of post. I still seem to be running into problems. What I am trying to figure out is the easiest way to put 2 wheel drive front suspension components under my blazer. I don't expect this to be easy by no means and i'm not rich, so backyard build is what I got. I know this site loves picture so I have added a few so you can see what I'm working with, and whatever happens I will continue the post with as many as I can get as I go through the conversion

What I do know (I think)
-Front crossmember will fit both 2 and 4 wheel drive frames?????
-Conversion requires new transmission, crossmember, rear springs and shackles from a 2 wheel drive
-Requires different steering box
-Requires different brake line routing
-Im sure there is waaaaaaaay more to this that I just don't know

Any help would be appreciated

65n70chevys
Cross member will fit.. However the bolt holes aren't there. My suggestion is if you are getting the front from a donor get the whole frame from the a piller forward. There are a few holes that do match up between the frame that you can use to figure out where you need to drill to mount the cross member.

Transmission I think you can use the existing but will need the 2wd tail shaft. I'm not 100% on this but I believe that is really all you need

Shackles you can use the 4x if you want but they will sit high in the rear. The difference is that the 4x shackles hang lower where the 2x shackles are more even with the frame.

Steering sorry can't help there I converted to a Mustang rack on mine

Brake Line routing I believe is the same. Not 100% on this but I believe it is the same. I can't remember if it needed to be changed or not.

Mine was originally a 2x that had a bent frame and I swapped it for what I could find which was a 4x.
BaggedRanger is offline   Reply With Quote