View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #344
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

There is no difference in the frame widths from '63 thru '87 in the C series and thru '91 in the R series.

It is not uncommon for the frame rails to spring apart a little once you unbolt the original crossmember. All you need to do is squeeze them back together a little, and bolt in your new suspension.

How do you plan on locating the lower control arms without saddles on your original crossmember? Unless you have something different than I have seen in 35 years of working on these trucks.

To use the '73-'87 tierods with your original draglink you will need to purchase the aftermarket aluminum tie rod adapters. I believe the original outters become your inner tierods. I'm not sure as I have never bought them. I just change the entire steering linkage to the '73 -'87 components.

You might want to check out Henry's thread. He is in the process of upgrading his '64 C30.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...=531513&page=4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966C30 View Post
I attempted to do a crossmember swap on my 66 c30 and the frame widths are not the same between these. the c30 chassis is 3/8 of an inch wider than the later 73-87 crossmember. I am however going to drill out the holes to mount the newer a-arms and spindles onto the crossmember. The only question i do have is what would it take to install the inner tie rod ends of the newer 73-87 into the drag link of the 66.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE