View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #95
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Crew Cab build preview...

Thanks for the comments guys.
Been working on the 4wd frame everyday, getting close to swapping. It’s been a challenge though.
I had 2 - 68 3/4 to. 4wd frames, one was wrecked in the rear and the other was bare.
Found out 68 rear springs are not like any others, longer, wider and not readily available new or used, so that took some work.
Then I find all kinds of problems with the components on the wrecked frame I bought.
The guy had a big shop and had the frame out in a pasture, said he had a towing accident which wiped out the rear end, rear frame bed and cab. Said it used to be his driver until the accident, seemed the truck was restored st one time, etc. I opened the diffs and they had posi units and gears like he said on the phone, had the broken th400attached to a np205,story all checked out.
The rear end was newly set up, gear marking compound, clean and in the shop, he explained the old housing was damaged, etc. so he had the rear end revuilt with a donor housing. Seemed like a good deal.
Well the rear end was 2wd so all the mounts were wrong, then I check the brakes, bad drums, stuck wheel cylinders, bad adjuster, etc. then I go to put wheels on it after moving he mounts and installing it and the lugs are 67-8 1/2” studs instead of the later model 9/16 or so which are on the front, now it needs rear hubs too....
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote