View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #171
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Spent most of yesterday in the garage on the truck. Didn't get nearly as much done as I had hoped.

My goal was to bolt the trans up to the engine so I could work on building the crossover pipe. I didn't even think about whether there would be an issue with the flexplate, etc with the new torque converter and transmission. Come to find out the ls flexplate that was on the engine was just a 3 bolt. And to mount the 4l80e you need to space it rearward. So I researched around and found out that Advance carries the correct setup. And its only $60. So I hopped in the car and ran down to the nearest store that carried it.

A comparison of the original converter to the new one. About half the weight it seemed. I hope it works decent. Ive never had anything with an upgraded converter so Im not sure what to expect...

Anyway so I had nearly a .25" gap between the converter and the flexplate when the trans was bolted up. Everything I read says you want roughly an .125". Ugh. So Jegs sells some spacers so I ran over there. I didn't really have any washers thick enough and I need 6 of the same.

Anyway so its bolted together now. A pretty big pain to do by yourself.

I test fit the turbo supply line and mounted the dakota digital sender. I guess I should have checked whether the holley has an oil sensor or not. I dont think it does.

I spray bombed the Tejas engine mounts and bolted them up.

Worked on making up the turbo oil drain. At first I didnt think the timing cover location was going to work. After massaging the fitting a bit it clears the belts fine and fits up to the turbo with no issues. I hope it drains well enough. Its a -10 line so..

My next goal is to build the crossover so I can get the engine and trans shoved in the truck. Hopefully this week/weekend.