View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #76
SCOTI

Re: My time... Nothing New. But it's my Build.

Mount air tanks, compressors, & relays where you can access them for service (leaks, electronic issues, etc...). The easier you can access them for service, the better.

I tucked & routed all my compressor wiring on a certain path to keep it clean, out of the way & somewhat tucked/hidden. In hindsight, I should have tested the ability to be able to access each area of potential failure easily. Once the truck was assembled w/the bed on top of the rails, it was a clean install. I drove it for years/miles w/no issues. Then.... I had an issue. What a PITA. I needed to verify a compressor was ok & functionality on a relay. In order to do so, I needed to drop them down enough that I could access for testing. My 10# of sh!t in a 5# bucket original install required creative routing/plumbing of the wire in/out of the comps & to the relays (in a close but different area). Super easy to access w/the bed off; not so much w/it on. Touching/getting hands on the wiring from underneath was easy, accessing things enough to diagnose the issue was not.

Upon opening that can 'o worms, I changed things slightly for easier service. While not tucked as 'pretty' as before, it's still out of sight but much easier for any service which was a good thing because I've already had to pull things apart again (failed relay- thought it was just a crap 6yr old Dorman relay. Replaced. Failed again within a week. Investigated, & now replacing the relay again & a pressure switch for one of the compressors).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote