View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #57
FAKKY

Re: beginner painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupo View Post
2 different primers are used for a reason. Your base primer is usually an anti-corrosive type primer. Could be either an epoxy or urethane. by sanding it there's a strong possibility that you could wear it so thin that it would lose its anticorrosive properties. What I usually do I do my body work over my base primer which is usually a urethane and then after I'm done with the bodywork I reshoot it with the base primer because in some areas I'll be down to bare-metal. By using a sandable surfacing primer eliminates that situation and give you a nice smooth finish for your topcoat. When you're working the surfacing primer trust your hand more than your eyes. I don't restore vehicles I preserve them thats why when I paint something I wanted to last for decades not years. I've been using industrial primers since 1978 with automotive color coats over it haven't seen anything come back yet.You will learn a lot of things the hard way painting is a valuable skill that you will use for the rest of your life
Good info !!!

Thx guys