View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #243
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy View Post
Hey the truck is looking sweet! Great work! i do have a question....where did you mount the chains on the engine when you put it on the frame? Trying to get mine is this weekend and have a way of doing it, but I wanna see if there's another. lol
Hey TJ! When I did mine I didn't want to take the intake or headers off, or scratch the valve cover. It's almost impossible to pick up an inline without it tilting to the drivers side because of all the weight. I ended up making a tripod shaped chain of sorts that worked perfect! I'm not sure if this will work if your cab is on the frame though. Here's how I did it........

For the front single chain, I used the front holes in the passenger side of the head where the AC bracket would go.

On the back side of the engine I used 1 loooooong chain attached to each side of the tranny. First I bolted up the tranny but used 2 extra long bolts ( i think 3"), for the 2 most outer holes on the tranny housing. I put these 2 bolts in from the engine side (essentially backwards from conventional) with the chain attached with some big fender washers. I made sure the bolts went all the way through the tranny housing to keep the threads inline. Theses 2 bolts I left about 2 inches exposed on the engine side so I could attach my chains to them.

So essentially I had one long chain attached on each side of the tranny that
went up to the hoist (like an upside down V). The front chain hooked at the same point on the hoist. Thus I had a tripod of sorts. This allowed me to pull straight up on the motor with no swing or tilt. Once i got the motor in I removed the 2 long bolts in the tranny, then ran the 2 proper sized bolts in from the back side like normal. Worked perfect! I did have the top of my motor all wrapped in towels as the chain might still want to rub on the valve cover. Hope all this makes sense.
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote