View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
MidLifer

Re: Barn find - Should I be nervous??

Agree with all the previous posters - the asking price is fair if the truck is as stated. Of course you can see if you can negotiate, and you should.

HOWEVER, if you think you will pay $3500 and have a truck that you can drive without investing more money, you may be disappointed. When you say "engine and brakes were recently gone through" do you know what that entails other than a seller's claim? Are there receipts? You are buying a 40+ year old vehicle, you really should be prepared for unexpected surprises that may cost money. E.G. the 327 may be tired and need rebuild/replace ($2000 for a new crate engine), it's a 1970 and the original front drum brakes should be swapped out for disc if you want to drive at highway speeds and hope to stop (couple of hundred if you go junkyard or upwards of a grand with new parts), wiring harness may be cut up, rear diff may be worn, trans might be shot, front end may need rebuilding, etc.

Not trying to be a wet blanket but many of us got our "experience" through our wallets. You can't eliminate uncertainty when you buy an old vehicle, and for many of us, that is the sick and perverse challenge that brings us back to the watering trough for project after project. If you read all my scare stories and are thinking, o.k., I can handle any of that, then by all means go for it. If not, and you are not sure of your ability to assess the condition of an old truck, then find someone who is and have them crawl around in the truck for a while and do a proper inspection. Even if you have to pay them.

To reiterate, if the body is dry and straight, that alone makes the truck worth $3500. But that doesn't mean the truck runs well and is safe.

Oh, and if you don't buy it, be sure to send me the seller's phone number ;-)
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote