View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #12
KevinK7

Re: '68 C20 396 4sp Utility ...resurrection :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
... Can you share some details about the steering wheel refurb? ...
Years ago I used a two part epoxy called "PC-7" on a Camaro wheel, I still had the cans and was amazed it was still good!, so I used it again on the truck wheel. I just googled, and the stuff is still around...
https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-P.../dp/B0815KTCKR

In a nutshell, you seemingly 'make it worse' before you make it better : ), use a hacksaw or similar to open up the cracked areas, fill the voids with the mixed epoxy and let it sit. From there, it's sanding, grinding, more sanding, etc. It takes time, but the epoxy sands relatively easily. It's just tedious with all the curves, etc. but you get there.
My truck wheel didn't look 'that' bad starting out, but when you look closely, there are more cracks than you think. It's a bit unnerving hacking away at it (making it look worse than when you started), but you need to open the areas up for the epoxy.

Anyway, after all the sanding, prime and paint. On my Camaro wheel, I did use a sprayer (and basecoat...clearcoat) which I'd recommend. For the truck wheel, I used a 'rattle can' and cleared over and it will be fine.

My apologies, I forget who on the board here ID'd the Nissan paint code that pretty darn matched the Fawn interior color. I found Duplicolor in a rattle can, so I used it. Note these are not full size cans, get TWO if you're doing this.

Here's some more pics of the process...

Since I didn't take as many pics as I should have on the truck wheel, here's some from a '67 Camaro wheel I did years ago.