View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
morcey2

Re: QuadraJet questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornery37 View Post
New problem, this plate? Block off? By the front passenger bolt is spraying gas when I rev the engine. What is it and what can I do to keep it from spraying? The shining quarter thing?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the spot for the dual-capacity accelerator pump solenoid. (M4MED is the q-jet model) My guess is that with the solenoid and other parts pulled out, the accelerator pump shot is hitting the block-off plate and spraying everywhere. It can't be blocked off like the mixture control solenoid, which happens to be in the same spot and have the same footprint. If you compare the bowl-vent tower at the front of the choke tower on your carb with Gumby's pictures of the computer controlled carbs, you'll see a difference. Plus, there isn't a spot for the throttle position sensor on your carb.

My guess is that there is a passage in the bottom of the bowl that can be plugged to get the pump shot to stay where it's supposed to. If you can get the inner-workings for the solenoid and re-install it, just leave it unplugged and it will function just like a normal accelerator pump circuit.

Also, the top vacuum port at the back of the carb (#1 in the first picture in the thread) is not a vacuum connection at all, but a filtered air connection for the EGR bleed solenoid. There should be no vacuum on that port.

My 85 K10 came from the factory with a M4MED, originally carb # 17085230, but had a generic remanufactured carb that has a leaky fuel bowl. I can send you the guts of this one if you want to try to put them in. PM me your address if you want them and I'll throw it in the mail tomorrow. It's not doing me any good sitting in my garage gathering dust. It's not a lot of dust as I just barely pulled it apart.

ETA: If you bought this as a new remanufactured carb from a retailer, take it back. It won't work with that block-off plate. If it was used or off someone claiming it was remanufactured, there might not be much you can do at this point.

Matt
morcey2 is offline   Reply With Quote