Thread: rough idle
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
nvr_di

Re: rough idle

I appreciate the help guys!

Yea that wouldn't surprise me at all if something was in the fuel system. I have a filter right before the carb and I just changed it. I'll pick up a couple more filters and keep them in the truck.

I'll try and do a compression test this weekend and I'll check for bubbles in the radiator.

I sprayed the base of the carb and the intake manifold with carb cleaner and I didn't hear the rpms change or anything so I'm fairly sure the gaskets are good. But a vacuum leak could be possibility.
Where should I look for leaks? I don't have power brakes.
Also it does have an aftermarket cam but I have no idea what the PO put in it. If I had to guess I would say its the RV cam. Its mild at best.

I haven't noticed any smoke from the exhaust. If anything, maybe a little gray but very little and it normally goes away after a few seconds.

I'd like to clean the carb but I'm not exactly sure the right way. Its got a Edelbrock 1406 on it. And I'm a bit worried about getting it adjusted correctly after taking it apart. Ive sprayed it with carb cleaner while running like Edelbrock's website suggested but it didn't make much difference and I'm sure that's no substitute for a real cleaning.

Forgive the stupid questions but this is my first carbureted truck. I downloaded the owners manual but still have a few questions.

I will have to replace the carb to intake gasket if I pull the carb right?
If I take it apart to clean it do I have to put a rebuild kit or replace any gaskets or can I just slap it back together?
I also read I could blow compressed air to clean the jets? Where exactly do I do that at? And does it have to be compressed air?
Also any other tips or anything I should know?

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by nvr_di; 03-23-2009 at 09:12 PM.
nvr_di is offline   Reply With Quote