View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #117
6BT 56

Re: 1988 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
This external regulater came from an early dodge pick up. It's a Napa ECH VR38 and the wire connector is ECH VRC38. I put a schematic up for it too.

What's important is that the switched positive is at the top of triangle, the other two terminals that go to the alt can be traded. The stock wires have to be disconnected and taped. Use a good ground.
Any 12v regulator will work, all have the same triangular plug setup.

Yes, you can do that for your grid heaters. I have two solenoids on mine. One sol per grid heater element, and I use a toggle switch. (A push button switch is way better) On this truck I used a 7.3 IDI glow plug controller which has a timer in it.

Timing, loosen your injection lines, the afc boost reference line, and the 3 bolts that secure the IP to the gear housing. Rotate the IP as close to the cylinder head as you can and retighten everything. This should get you to around 14-15* advanced and they run really well here.
Hey thanks for your reply.

you know your stuff on this cummins stuff. Excellent swap , as are the rest . thanks for the info on the regulater and the grid heaters. Needs 2 sol ? they must draw lots of amps. but I think the dodge had 2 mounted on the inner fender didnt it?

Timing advance sounds easy enuf. Do I need to do any other stuff to work with this or is this just a extra? I was going to do the fuel screw turn in a turn or 2 and play with the other adjustments. Unless you say otherwise !!

Keep up the great work . Cant wate to see this thing done!
New 2018 ram 3500 drw 4x4. Makes my 2005 Look as if it's been running on 4 cyl since new !
My Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556908
6BT 56 is offline   Reply With Quote