Thread: 55.2-59 New versus old safety
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 04:50 PM   #15
MARTINSR

Re: New versus old safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Well put Dsraven.

Top quality seat belts that are properly installed and a collapsible steering column are two things that need to be installed in any modified truck.

I was at a local rat rod show a year or two ago and some guy had a sharpened spike sticking out of the center of his steering wheel. Long enough that it would go through and past a person's backbone in a crash. True the car was not licensed and trailered to and from the event as most rat rods around here are but I can see some fool high school kid putting a spike in the middle of his steering wheel on his Honda Civic and getting it run through him in a minor accident because he thought it was cool .

Build as safe as you can, then teach yourself to be a defensive driver who pays attention to what is going on around you and as far ahead of you as you can see.

I don't think guys need to get paranoid though. Just think the mods out and study them a bit to make sure that you aren't building in a safety issue.
I am in the collision industry, I think it's way more about driving than anything. And yes the modern car is MUCH safer if you do get in an accident but damn it sure seems like most every car I see at work had a driver doing something stupid.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote