Thread: 55.2-59 New versus old safety
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #19
MARTINSR

Re: New versus old safety

And honestly, the way you drive is a BIGGIE! I am not talking my "opinion" I am talking about something I studied. I am not kidding, studied like a student in school. And this was when I was driving a hot rod late model Ford Taurus SHO with all the safety stuff and 4 wheel disc abs brakes and all that. I did studies measuring how long it took me to get to work going fast over the speed limit and pushing stop lights and stuff vs "hypermiling" for fuel economy going under the speed limit and leaving WAY more room between me and the car in front so I wouldn't have to step on the brake or gas coasting a lot more and that sort of thing. I didn't do this a day or two, I did it for months, noting the numbers and calculating the average times. It PROVED to me that driving aggressive doesn't get you there any faster, and costs you a bunch of fuel doing it! I studied how many stop lights I had to stop at and how long that stop was, (we think its WAY longer than it is) how leaving a bunch of room on the freeway between you and the car in front costs you close to ZERO time when people pull into that space, stuff like that. I tossed my "opinion" about these subjects out the door with these studies.

And driving a vintage car with drum brakes and all that is going to be much safer if you drive it leaving that room and not pushing lights to be hit by someone pushing the light in the other direction. It blows my mind how it changed how I drive.

So this IS a factor in the safety of driving a vintage car or truck.

We just have to have our eyes and ears open for other ideas, not just how to install a seat belt.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote