View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #214
SkinnyG

Re: SkinnyG's '61 Apache

I don't recall what my regular drill bits are, I bought them close to 15 years ago. I only buy drill bits from industrial supply places, NOT hardware stores or Princess Auto (Harbor Freight). My students straight up destroy cheap cutters, so it's always best to buy brand name. Come to think of it, I think I've been buying quite a bit of CLE-LINE for work; they are not frightfully expensive.

My demming bits are Princess Auto, and they just do not hold an edge, though it could just be that my drill press is running too fast. I did take all the stepped pulleys out, and I'm running the smallest pulley that would fit the motor shaft, and the largest pulley that would fit under the cover. I may have to go bigger, and make a new cover.

Cheap taps are also my nemesis - I won a big-ass tap and die set at a shop teacher's conference a couple years ago, but turns out they are all made of butter; they're all a one-time-use in Aluminum sort of thing. Broke another good brand tap today making a proper handle to replace the clamp nut on my lathe tailstock. - what the heck?!
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote