View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #5
Root2812

Re: A few general questions about my project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Type F was specified by Ford for Ford vehicles with rack and pinion steering built before 1996/98 According to this https://www.motorcraft.com/us/en_us/...ng-fluids.html

When I worked in Pontiac dealerships where I did a low of power steering pumps and steering boxes I could often quiet down a 70's GM pump that someone had put atf in by bleeding the atf out and filling it with genuine GM power steering fluid.

I'd probably go with a high quality type F as that is what the seals in the rack are compatible and I don't believe that it will cause an issue with the pump. Ford used a lot of Saginaw pumps running them with Type F fluid.

What I am finding is DO NOT USE synthetic power steering fluids or fluids with any leak stop additives in them. The MII or 80's Mustang's racks seals don't seem to like either.
I guess I need to add that I don't actually have the 79-93 steering rack. My kit came from Fatman Fabrication and they marketed it at a 79-93 and the instructions say 79-93 but I saw it has a ford V steering shaft which is 94-04. I pulled part numbers off it and then had to call them. He told me they ran out of 79-93 racks and sent me a 96-98 rack but it has 79-93 inner tierods on it.

So I have a 96-98 rack. That link said Type F for cars before 96-98. So no Type F?

Also you say the power steering fluid quieted down a noisy pump so it must be safe to use either in the pump? I don't want my pump to be noisy.