View Single Post
Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 PM   #6
swey00

Re: swapping front axle for left side transfer case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
a 79 and earlier ford dana 44 will bolt in if it comes from an f250 springs are the same width. i have a d60 from a 78 f350 in mine and it was no issues. the ford 44 will be five lug. you can use chevy outers on the ford axle and get your left drop 6 lugger. it will be HP if it is a later year 44. not a problem if the driveline has the clearance.
I plan on trying to keep the height stock, if not lowered 1" to 2". So I definitely need left drop. So I just need to find a pre-'79 ford d44?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmp6 View Post
A t56 is only a 2wd trans unless you run a divorced t case or spend a ton of money.If its a stock 6 speed out of a newer truck its a nv something,But i would get a adapter kit and run a np203 vs replacing the front axle thats a huge job.
Yes, I am aware it is 2wd only, from all the research I've done it will be around $800 to rebuild the tranny to make it bolt up to the np149.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan View Post
i can do an axle swap in no time.

77-79 f250 dana 44 with chevy knuckles out. or if you want it 8 lug just run the same ford 8 lug setup with the dual piston calipers. but it does have 1/2" studs.
So it is all bolt-in? I just need to switch the steering knuckles and hubs from my 72 axle to the ford? The leaf pads are the right width, axle is right width? Are the ball joints interchangeable for and assemblies between the 2 axles?

Thanks for all the help, I am new to 4wd, but not 67-72 trucks. This is my first 4wd, so I dont know all the correct terms.
swey00 is offline   Reply With Quote