View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 01:11 AM   #40
caseyjones

Re: 1964 GMC Palomino Tan Survivor

More room to move around in the garage now!

My buddy and I pulled the transmission and started looking at the AX15 and realized we have a problem. The GMC bellhousing doesn't appear to be removable without removing the flywheel. The AX15 and Novak adapter, as designed, need to be mounted from inside the bellhousing. In order to run the top transmission mounting bolts into the bellhousing from the transmission side, I'll have to carve away at the transmission case to make room for the socket head cap screws. I'm thinking about it for a bit longer before I start grinding, hoping for a better answer.

The area to be cleared out for the bolt is as wide as the sharpie outline, but would have to extend further back along that rib. It looks pretty much the same on the other side, except it also gets really close to a locating dowel pin. I wouldn't have to cut all the way through that lip, probably a little over .125" deep into it.

I doubt the transmission would ever be stressed enough for the case to break if I cut into those ribs. What do you guys think?
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote