View Single Post
Old 12-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #147
Second Series

Re: 1947 Panel Truck Frame swap with ’88 k2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by olcarguy View Post
Good for you, at least You have not given up on it. I haven't worked on mine for at least 8 yrs.....
This could be a good year to get to it! When I attempt to complete a task I get frantic and cut corners. If I approach each task with no expectation I enjoy the time and it eventually gets done. This week I put one screw in each hood hinge…

Quote:
Originally Posted by lower50's View Post
Nice build, lots of innovation. It should defiantly go faster than 60 with no shakes. 2023 is date you hope it is on the road again?
Thanks! It needs glass, latches, and lights to go on the road. The doors are a project in themselves, but yes, I would like to be driving in the spring.

Oh, it looks like I forgot to post last month’s progress:

Two weeks of penetrating oil and the busted stud would not budge. I drilled it out some more and used a centerpunch to collapse it in. In the process I hammered the punch between the stud and the hole, the nut is D-shaped and split on the thin side. I cleared the hole and tried another bolt in it. I was able to tighten it some, so I may use it as is, or could add a helicoil.
I removed the hood to go over the hinge bolts. The restoration shop decided it would be a good idea to tap the threads and assemble with their standard shop bolts. I was actually there while the owner’s son was doing this. The owner commented that the guy that dismantled it neglected to tap the threads and they were having a hard time getting the bolts in. I mentioned that I had the special bolts for it, but they wanted to use their bolt then, and use new bolts after paint. I should have known better. I still haven’t found the original bolts.
Now that I have the hood off, I see they tapped it out to 5/16-18. The shoulder bolts are 5/16-24. These tapped holes are in a bracket that is rivetted to the hood. I could buy 6 helicoils and use the shoulder bolts. This hood hinge has Three 3/8” holes for the shoulder. The shoulder bolt kit I purchased has one 3/8” for each side and two larger for each side. I would need to get 4 more 3/8” shoulder bolts. I picked up some 3/8” spacers that I can cut to length to use on 5/16-18 bolts and make my own shoulder bolts.
I tapped the spacers to 5/16-18, and cut to length.
Now I’m attempting to paint the under side of the hood when it’s not freezing outside. I was in a hurry and painting a concave surface. The drips really showed up after I applied black. I decided to use some sandpaper, 100 grit was a lot of work so I had some 60 grit. It shows the drips are from the primer. I sprayed more black and the 60 grit scratches show. I used the 100 grit to knock those down, and more black. This is all new to me, I’ve watch a couple videos and know I can get it looking fairly decent.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote