View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #41
clay68c10

Re: Steering Wheel is a half turn off after disc brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John Sny View Post
Ok, I centered the steering box. The steering wheel is straight. The pit man arm will not go back on unless I turn the steering wheel a half turn (about two splines on the pitman arm) I took a picture with the steering box centered and the pitman arm on. The wheels are turned lightly to the left.
the pitman arm looks parallel with the frame but the idler arm is turned slightly in. About half the ball joint is under the frame. I have a pic of this as well. also took a pic of the idler bolted to the frame.

not sure how the pitman arm could be parallel with the frame and the idler arm not be. The frame width is the same in the 85 and the 68.

It doesn't take much off on the angles to add up to a lot.
Sorry, not sure how I missed that info.
I would definitely be suspicious of the pitman arm splines being off, or the steering box having an internal problem (less likely).
Is the idler arm bracket symmetrical? Maybe it’s flipped? I don’t have one handy to look at now. It does look like the idler arm is out of whack compared to the frame.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote