View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #164
derotoreut
Roto Reuter thats the name...

Re: Creamsicle: My 70 K10 SWB is about to get sweeter

So now that the exhaust is completed the truck runs much better. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it would start fine and then seem to run rich and the want to stall out. The problem was the O2 sensors being so close to the ends of the collectors with no exhaust pipes downstream. Now that there is a complete system, it runs great!

I was also having an issue with my Check Engine light being on. I ended up having a MIL code P0650, which appeared to be a generic malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) issue. I found out that this could be caused by damaged, open, shorted or corroded wiring. It could also be caused by poor grounds or failed MIL bulb or LED. When I connected my Dakota Digital RTX gauges I used their BIM-01-02, which pulls data directly from the PCM through the OBDII port. In the meantime the wire connection for the check engine light was not used. The PCM was showing this as an Open Wire and therefore turned on the check engine light and P0650 code. DD suggested that I connect the check engine light wire to the main DD module and turn off reading it through the BIM-01-02 module. This seemed to work and I was able to clear the code.

After that I started having an issue with my Check Engine light flickering on my Dakota Digital RTX gauges. It seemed like when it was first started it was fine, but then shortly afterwards the light would blink maybe once every 30-seconds. The more it ran, the shorter the blink duration. The light never stayed on though. I checked the OBD2 port for any codes, but wasn't finding anything. Once again I got in touch with DD and they said that sometimes these gauges need a small electrical load to keep the MIL off. I wired a small 12V lamp to IGN Hot and the ground side to the DD check engine terminal on the main module. This definitely did the trick. So now when the key is first turned on, the check engine light comes on in the RTX display and the small 12V light also comes on. Once it's started both lights now go completely off.

Here you can see the DD gauge cluster when the key is in the ON position and engine not started. The check engine light is on along with a small light located just above the AC vent. There was already a small hole there from the PO, which fit the indicator light perfect. This seemed to do the trick!!!
Name:  IMG_0866.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  49.9 KB

1970 SWB Fleet K10 4X4, 5.3L LM7, 4L60E, Dakota Digital RTX, Vintage Air, Ididit tilt
1971 SWB Fleet C10 - Original SWB Arizona truck, new custom restoration project

"Kick out your motor and drive while you're still alive - kick it out!" - Heart 1977

Last edited by derotoreut; 08-04-2020 at 11:02 AM.
derotoreut is offline   Reply With Quote