Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #26
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

PS: When I watched the videos from eastwood, the guy was using the eastwood 135? and he was saying he likes to turn the welder almost all the way up on the heat setting and when he welds I noticed he would just "tap" the gun trigger for each weld. I was doing that too when I started but my uncle was saying I shouldn't have to do this. But I think this eastwood guy method makes a nice flat puddle but when I transferred this method to my old truck sheet metal, I kept burning through in some weak spots and such so I went back to the welder table settings.

I also feel like I don't know how to aim the welding rod. Seems like I am supposed to hold the gun at an angle and hit the side of one of the panels I am butt welding and then move the gun upright to get the puddle inside the gap to fill? I try that I usually end up burning through. But if I get a blob of weld started somewhere, I usually just use that to aim at from there on so I don't burn through, its my starting point I guess you could say. But I'm pretty sure I was holding the gun at an angle too much so my welds weren't filling up the gap, or I wasn't moving my puddle down into the gap or something.

And if I use the high heat quick button trick, there is almost no time to move a puddle that way... Ugh. So many questions I have....

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote