Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #43
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

The hood was in pretty bad shape. The previous owner put a 67-68 front grill and hood on this truck. Maybe the whole front clip. So after sandblast, the front part of grill was found to be swiss cheese.... So I figured I would start there with my metal repair, then cab later.

I started by cutting out the swiss cheese and making little repair strips. Here are some various pics of my work as I progressed. Don't rip me, this is my first metal repair of this kind. After a while I figured out the welder polarity was flipped so I corrected that and my welds started getting better and better. I'm still learning

The right side of hood was so long of a cutout I decided to do this with 2 strips.

Burned in and ground down.

Next strip. I used a piece of paper, used my dirty fingers and traced over the paper to make the hole edges using pressure. Then I cut out the hole in paper with scissors and traced over sheet metal. Then as I ground down the piece to fit, I would make a mark from left to right and would only grind to the mark I made so I could keep track and not grind down too much after it each section fit.

I got some zinc weld thru primer from NAPA and was spraying the inside of hood and back of my patch strips before welding. I would let it setup for an hour before I welded the piece in.

Here I started filling the 25 holes drilled for chevrolet letters and other trim stuff I guess.

You get the idea, I finished up both sides of the hood like this. Took me 2 days... Cab pics coming soon.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote