View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 04:37 AM   #10
Mike_The_Grad

Re: The best wiring harness?

I went AAW "Classic Update" series. Hands down the best investment I've made to date for my truck. My truck sat for 8 years without a hood. The stock harness was toast from the firewall forward. After researching replacing just the engine and front light harness it made more sense to go full rewire. ($350 for the factory replacement Vs. $500 for complete vehicle rewire.) The reason I chose AAW is because they actually include: new headlight switch, dimmer switch, ignition switch, new set of keys, new taillight pigtails that are exactly how the factory made them. Same GM color codes on wiring (as far as stock goes), every wire is labeled, along with same connectors for each terminal. You do commit to HEI but they sell a kit to retain points, you also loose ammeter function of your stock gauge panel and switch to a one wire alternator setup. You can check their website for the reasoning behind the ammeter function being cut out of the harness, and the one wire alternator setup is a super easy way of insuring power is maintained at all times.

I literally had no knowledge of electrical automotive wiring when I purchased this kit and attempted its install. The only thing I knew about electricity is that it hurt when you touch it.
I was able to install the entire kit myself. Granted it did take me about 40 hours to install. Only because of these reasons: I did not have the correct crimping tool for the job and I soldered, heat shrinked every single terminal I made. if your friend decides to go with AAW, GET THE CORRECT CRIMPING TOOL! I could have easily shaved 1/3 off the install time if I had the right crimper. I will say that even though I didnt have the right crimping tool the entire kit worked from the very first turn of the key. Well except my headlights but that's only because I didnt clean the paint off under the grounds. A little Emory fixed that right up. It's been almost 5 years since I installed the kit and it's probably the only thing that I've done to my truck that has given me the least amount of problems or issues. Practically none. Oh and you change from the glass bulb type fuses to the newer ATO blade type.
I'm currently in the middle of installing this kit in my dads 64 LWB. And all i can say is that they have really got these kits dialed in. I have about 3 hours in the install and I'm practically half way done. Yes, theres only about 12 wires in the entire truck but they really have made a good product better. Photos with the instructions, YouTube links. I even found a decent crimping tool on Amazon for about $30. AAW will rent you a crimping tool or sell you one.( they go for about $180 on their site.) Regardless of where you get the tool, the best advice I can give is GET THE RIGHT TOOL! it makes all the difference.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote