View Single Post
Old 04-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #621
Beach-Burban

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Two steps forward one step back. Spent the morning searching for the leak in the air supply to my air control valve. I used about a quart of leak check with no results (Well I did find a small leak on one of the rear bag lines. Went in at lunch to see the old lady off to work and she said "why don't you use my stethoscope and listen for the leak?". So I did and it was slow going as I had to take them off every time I shifted position to keep from blowing an ear drum, but they were the ticket to success as I found a pretty good leak on the desiccant cartridge. I'll see in the morning if the tank is empty again.
And as so often happens one thing leads to another. Since I decided to remove the front seat to get to the leaking cartridge i decided it would be a good time to swap in the drivers side of the new set seats I got from a 2013 GMC. I wanted to try out the driver's side first just to be sure it wasn't going to cause my back to act up. (The seats in the old ladies Lexus start to bother me after about 20 minutes and the longer I ride in it the worse it gets). The old bench seat in the WMB doesn't bother my back at all but I certainly would like to have a taller seat with a head rest.
Anyway after mocking the seats in position it was apparent that they were slightly wider than the original seat but I'm pretty sure I could modify the inboard mounts to get things to narrow up about 1/2" and then the driver's seat would pretty well centered on the wheel and the passenger seat would not crowd the seat belt retractor too much. All was looking good until I thought to lay the rear seat down and see how much clearance I would have. Well it turns out that I won't have any clearance. Even after trying several different placements the fact is I won't fit behind the wheel if the rear seat is down. There is too much material on the back of the seats compared to the factory seat. So the seat swap is a no go.
Well that's unfortunate...the contours of those seats look like they would cradle a person very nicely for long trips! I'll have to see if an upholsterer can craft a similar design into my front bench when I start shopping around! The rear "fold-up" seats look great, though!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote