View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #81
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Boss 338 Wheels **GROUP BUY**

[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brossow View Post
Ah. I was confused because you said this: "Anyway,... they are 20x10 (6.250" bs) and 20x8.5 (5.250" bs) with the ever popular 5x5 bolt pattern." I thought you were referring to the truck shown, not the rims you ordered. Guess I could have seen that had it occurred to me to look at the width of the chrome lip.

Okay, so obviously it can be done with spacers, which will cost people about $60. Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what you've written, but you've really seemed to be badmouthing the 20x10 option when a cheap solution is not only possible but is in fact what you intend to use. Yes, it's obviously something people should consider when looking at these rims, but I think you've managed to scare away several people over what amounts to a minor issue that's easily resolved. (No offense; that's just how it comes across.)
No offense taken.
If people are scared to run spacers,... that's their option.
I just don't think people understand or realize what a 6.225" bs means.

I just want everyone to know what they are getting.
I would never run anything other than 8.5's up front and 10's in the rear with these 338 wheels. I always planned to run spacers on the rear.
I also switched to 1" rotors up front because I didn't want to use a spacer up front. (the 5.25" BS on the 8.5's is just barely enough for my liking)

My biggest pet peeve with wheels is the wrong backspace.
In my opinion,... the wheels have to fit the truck.
The offsets have to be different due to the wider track width of the front suspension. (or the rear wheels need to be wider)
Again,... this is just my opinion.

I'll get out of this thread.
I seem to be doing more harm than good.

SCOTI posted alot of good info about running the 20x10's with this 6.225" BS,... and no one seemed to be listening. So I chimed in with the spacer comment.
SCOTI's quote:
My 68 w/the stock 68 12-bolt could use 5-5.50" back-spacing. I installed 5.50"BS wheels that required mini-tubbing the bed floor. Add an additional .725" & it would only be worse. The use of a wider 71-72 rear might work better here but I'm not sure how much clearance would be there.....

The 5.50"BS was about the max I could use on my 74 (w/stock 74 12-bolt). Again, any more back-spacing would require mini-tubbing. There might be a slight chance they'd fit but it would be close.

The easy solution for everyone running a 15x8 ralley wheel, is to go out and see if you have another 2-3/16" or 2-1/4" of room between the inside edge of the wheel and the wheel tub. If you do fine. They will work.
(Just be sure to measure both sides of the truck,... because they are usually different)

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 03-22-2010 at 12:40 PM.