View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 01:50 PM   #19
69GMC2004

Re: 1970 in the Great White North

It's been a bit since I updated this. Been busy with home renovations, work, and kids (including a new one that showed up unexpectedly in August, 5 weeks early). Drove the truck a few times over the summer, mostly doing chores and runs to the dump. This old girl still has the original wiring harness with many "add-ins" for various accessories or repairs, and far too many wires that go nowhere. One day I went to start it and wiring shorted out and started melting the harness. This was late summer so I decided it was time to tear down the truck to swap the body over the winter.

Since the budget for the winter was going to be a bit lower with my wife on mat leave, I decided to take the cheaper route, this meant not getting the LS swap done. Did a compression check on the SBC and had 140-145 across the board so decided to fix the oil leaks and do a tune up. Tore the engine down and found a lot of slop in the timing set, I was curious to see how much it really was so I put my degree wheel on and it was about 11 degrees of crank rotation before the camshaft started to turn. I ordered a new timing set and since I was going to run this engine, I just had to take a peek at some camshafts, oops! I ordered the smallest cam above stock specs (a lot of sparse and partial info on the 267 specs mind you), so hopefully it won't be too much lol. I also ordered a carb rebuild kit. I got everything back together and threw some Chevy orange paint at the engine and transmission to get rid of the gray/blue/green/black fiasco it had going. In total I spent about $200 on engine parts, in the spring I had rebuilt the TH350 for about $250, with paint I had basically a complete powertrain overhaul for under $500CDN.

I also picked up a set of used Coys wheels and tires for a decent price that would fit over the Wilwood brakes, so I was finally able to get the front brakes installed and see it on some decent wheels. The wheels needed a good bit of polishing.
Attached Images

69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote