View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 12:45 AM   #93
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Your motor looks great!! I like the orange with the black wrinkle covers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
The radiator is another issue. I only have 4 core radiators for 73-87's, and they are too tall to fit right in the 67-72 supports. However, I did set one in there and the hood will shut, so I'm thinking about modifying the stock 4 core mounts to use the later radiator. I have been searching for a stock 4 core with no luck, and don't really have the extra cash to buy one right now. I have to decide how bad I want a D80 in the rear of this, and I'm really leaning on going that direction.
You can make a tall four row from a 73+ work in these trucks. The rad in mine is a Delco replacement that is made in aluminum with plastic tanks, but shares the same dimensions as the one you have (Delco does not service the copper/brass unit anymore). I made a new lower plate and made my own retainers for the 73+ radiator bushings (GM p/n 6264100). You may be able to re-use the stock lower mounting bracket. I had to remake mine because I moved the condenser behind the core support which required moving the radiator back. The upper mounting was a bit more fun. I had to layout and bend up a new upper mounting plate. I also welded the bushing retainers into that. As you already figured out, the room for the radiator is there, but the mounting components need to be made to work with the taller rad.

There are a few pics throughout the thread in my sig, but this one will give you an idea of what I ended up with: