View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 05:18 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Re: Radiator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufas View Post
The fan shroud is tight fitting around the radiator. The fan is slightly to far into the shroud opening. But because of the supercharger pulley and belt I can't move the fan out any. The fan is less than 1/4 inch from pulley and belt.

You make a good point about sensor location. The high temp I'm worried about is the head temp. So far 215° has been the highest temp, but the outside temp was only 77°. The radiator inlet temp was just under 200°. What concerns me is the summer time temps here typically approach 120°. Most days temp hover around 115°. So I can imagine this condition will get worse.
215 in the head is not overheating at idle . The fan being to far in is a problem it will cause the air to swirl and for lack of a better word cavitate in the shroud . My Chevelle will hit 215 -225 in the head before the fans kick in . You said you had electric fans what brand ? I had some Flex-A-Lite fans on it and it was always borderline would take a good while for the temp to go down I replaced them with an aluminum fan shroud and Spal fans the temps will almost instantly drop as soon as they kick in . They use less power and cool 100% better than the Flex fans rated at the same CFM the Flex fans also had an aluminum shroud .

My new truck build I’m putting in a Cold case with dual Spal fans with the aluminum shroud that can with the radiator. The fans that came with the radiator just look cheap in my opinion.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote